Monday, May 23, 2011

These Are The Days

Hello blog friends! I come to you today a hot mess of sickness and completely irrational Mom emotions. I guess that's my way of warning you that this may get a little sappy. Or sneezy. Or whatever. I don't know.

You see, today is yet another big day in the Fidler house. I never realized before this year what a big month May is. I'm pretty sure most people we know graduated this year. Not really, but it feels like it. Anyway, we had our own little graduate. :)

He didn't have a ceremony so I was totally surprised to get a card with this picture in it. He told me they took turns "graduatin".  Melt my heart. Make me do the ugly cry. If that weren't enough look at the sign on his classroom door
Mercy. I was just thankful they didn't add "as long as your Mama pays off her student loans by then" to the bottom.

The kids had award ceremonies last week and Eli sat on the end of the row. His little head just barely peeked out of the seat. I found myself thinking that it will not be long before I will have to look up to him and he will be a for real graduate and I will be a for real mess. Will somebody pass me a Kleenex? Thanks....

In happy news, we were completely surprised to learn that the school gives out Dolphin awards. You may remember from this blog that Eli was awarded a Dazzling Dolphin award. That meant he was recognized for showing respect, resourcefulness, and another R I can't remember. But it's something good. Anyway, Sarah was pretty bummed because she went all year without receiving that honor. Well, wouldn't you know it, they gave out 3 awards in each grade level that kind of represented like the top Dazzling Dolphins of the year and she and Eli both got one!! We were pretty proud. Okay, we were super proud and obnoxiously texting family members and bragging shamelessly.  They both also made A/B honor roll, but we couldn't help but feeling more pride in the fact that they were recognized not just for grades, but for their behavior and how they treated others. And especially for Sarah, it was an awesome moment!


My sweet girl. Today was their last day of school and I just can't believe this year is gone. What a year it has been. I know I say that every year. We've had some years, y'all! The truth is that while this school year started out a little rough, it really was a great year. You may remember that we made the choice to move Sarah back a grade and that making that decision just about did me in. We had some tough meetings with her 3rd grade teachers and the principal and decided it was what was best. One thing I didn't share at the time was that when I told her reading teacher about something Sarah told me she responded, "She's smart" as if she were totally shocked. I don't know about y'all but I don't want anybody teaching my child that doesn't believe they are smart and capable. Maybe that is just me. Well, it turned out to be the best decision we could've made. Her 2nd grade teacher was an absolute gift from God and I have no doubt that she ended up exactly where she was supposed to be. Her teacher wrote on her report card how much she enjoyed having her in class and then ended with, "Work hard and show those 3rd grade teachers how smart you are".  The thing is,  I never shared with her my experience with the teachers or what was said, but she just got it. She got it. She believed in my sweet girl and she brought out the best in her. And I am eternally grateful.

Eli also had an awesome teacher. It was her first year, but she handled that class with ease. We are just constantly amazed at the things he has learned. It is such an amazing thing to feel like someone cares about your children and is attentive to them the way you would be. We were very blessed.

I know it probably seems weird to be so emotional about my kid's teachers. Haven't I told y'all it only takes me like 5 minutes to get emotionally attached to people? Anyway, I can't help it. I just feel overwhelmingly blessed that they were a part of our lives this year. If you are a teacher working hard to not only teach, but genuinely care about your students, you are making a difference!!

And speaking of a difference, take a look at what a difference a school year makes!


First Day of School August 2010


Last Day of School May 2011



1 comment:

Lori said...

They are so adorable!! And I KNOW how much difference a teacher that cares about your kids and knows their ability and potential!! I am so glad that you guys have had such a good year and that God has shown you in great ways that you guys made the right decision for your child! And those awards - that needs to be written in some book somewhere - FANTASTIC!